Monday, December 15, 2008

A Vet's Waiting Room

A vet's room waiting is nothing short of an amusement park of smells, scents and other dog's privates for Toby. I had to take him back in. Nothing can be simple with him. He's having serious issues with infection and swelling from his neutering. Due to the fact he won't stop licking and frolicking. Here I am in the vet's waiting room using all my 115 lbs to hold back a 75lb dog. Oh the smells and scents for my dog to investigate. Somehow I am managing the car seat, my rambunctious Sammie, and the reincarnated "Marly"...my dog Toby. I'm thinking,"Okay..I think I can handle this. It's not so bad"...UNTIL..the German Shephard, the Pit Bull, a really big curly dog, and 3 other dogs that walk in all at once. Oh My Gosh! I am sitting in the chair, bracing myself, the car seat is in my lap, Sammie is climbing on top of me, and Toby takes off. He is literally dragging us across the floor. He feels it is God given right to greet every doggie that comes through the door. It is obvious to everyone that I can't control my dog. This battle between me and Toby goes on for 20 minutes. I'm praying the aids will call our name. "Hurry! Hurry! Please call us back!"
Once in the exam room, the vet asks me,"This hematoma is really bad. And it's starting to get infected. You were suppose to keep him from running and licking himself. Didn't you do that?" "I did all I could ma'am. You see..my dog is one of kind..." Interupting me, she says,"Well, you definetly need antibiotics and an e-collar." "You mean one of this big white round things?" "Yea. THat will stop him from licking." I'm looking at her sideways,"Um..I don't know if that will work. You see..Toby can demolish anything. I mean everything and anything in sight.." and the vet is out the door. I ask the aid if there is something better. "No Ms. Jessop. This works really well. You'll see." I'm thinking, You don't know my dog. This isn't going to work. "Well, can I get two of those. Just in case he gets out of it. " "Well, Ms. Jessop, you can buy another if you think it is neccesary." At $20.00 a collar, I decided that I will make only one work-unless it is absolutely not repairable.
Exhausted, I drive everyone home. I leave Toby in his corner while I attended to my darling Evelyn. She's crying and upset. She finally had her first blow out. Poop is everywhere!!!! We've been home maybe 5 minutes. As I was running to get more wipes, I see Toby out of the corner of my eye:


So much for the $20.00 collar!!

No comments: