Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Our Beloved Papa



As of October 4th 10:00 am time stood still at our house. All activities stopped and the calender was ignored. It was at that precise time that I called 911. Grandma Jessop had called me over to check on Papa. "I just can't seem to wake him, Angela. Please come over." My heart skipped a beat and I knew something awful had happened.
Our beloved Papa had passed away in his sleep, laying next to the love of his life. It was sudden, unexpected and heartbreaking. Time stood still for the Jessop family as arrangements were made, goodbyes were said, and the grieving began. He was dearly loved and will be sorely missed.
I was only his daughter-in-law, but he treated me like one of his own. Our children adored him. He showered them with love and candy, and I know they will miss both. Jeremy is heartbroken and I feel he hasn't had a moment to truly grieve. So many responsibilities now.
Papa was truly a great and generous man. I looked up to him in so many ways, never complaining, always smiling, a loving husband and father. He has sacrificed so much for his family and I know he wouldn't have had it any other way. I've learned and enjoyed watching him help his dear wife, Yula, recover from her stroke. True love is watching a man putting curlers in his wife's hair, so she can look beautiful.
Life does go on and so the clock has started ticking again. The calender has been reevaluated and now we ask ourselves, "Was it all a dream? Did it really happen? Is it really Oct. 15th? What would Papa do?" He would continue on with a smile on his face.

13 comments:

Heather said...

oh - how sad for your family. What a dear grandpa and dad. Thanks for sharing the news. We hadn't heard. Bless sweet mama Jessop and your families.

Angie said...

Our prayers are still with you. Good luck with getting everything in order.

JaNan said...

I'm so sorry, I know how hard it is to lose a parent and grandparent. I was told when my Mom died that "The pain never goes away, you just learn to live with it" I've found that statement to be true but God can make our burdens lighter.

Alles Gute

Cheri said...

We love Val and will miss him! We also love you guys and are praying for your family.

Miranda said...

That was a beautiful eulogy. We'll be thinking about you and your family during this time.

Reeses Pieces said...

I'm sorry I wasn't much help last week. I'm glad the YW helped you out. If you need anything please let me know. Lets for sure do a girls night out soon. I'll try to plan one.

Sabrosa Cycles said...

Hang in there. We will always remember Father Jessop at our home. He was a great man.

Unknown said...

He will be missed! I have never known someone who always smiled and made you feel welcome and loved. I've always know I welcome at the Jessops be Val and his entire family they are all great people.

Palmer

HJ said...

Your are amazing with words. I've never met the man but tears came to my eyes and I am glad you have been able to live there and be able to have an obvious good relationshiop with your inlaws. I hope Jeremy will be able to grieve healthly. Love ya Holly JO

Jeni said...

Oh, Angela. Our condolensces to you and Jeremy. I dont' even want to think about having to deal with the loss of my parents. I mean, really. Is it ever anything you can truly prepare yourself for? Even with my knowledge of our Heavenly Father's Plan of Salvation, I dread the day....my thoughts and prayers are with you both. Much love, Jeni

Lori said...

You have been in my thoughts and I hope you are doing ok with everything on your plate now. I feel so sad for your loss.

Max Jessop said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Max Jessop said...

I remember that time to AUNT Angela. From your nephew, Max.