Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Piano-more than music lessons

We have the best piano teacher ever!!! She and I have been struggling and coming up with creative ways to make piano/music lesson fun and enjoyable and more importantly that they will have a desire to practice daily.I want to give my children the gift of music, whether they are talented or not. I think it helps round their education and growing up. I think you learn so much more than just music notes. Today proved my point.
Upon arrival, our teacher asked all of us for a "team" meeting. She asked if each of us wanted to be a part of the team, I said yes the kids said no. Then she pulled out two, one-dollars bills. (Now they decided to be team members). Told the kids it was a gift from her and asked them what they could buy with it. Then she dumps 140 one-dollars bills on the floor. Asked them if they would like this each month for a gift? What do you think they said?! OF COURSE! Wide-eyed and giddy they went through the countless things they could do with $140.00 (in ones). By this point, I'm starting to catch one. Piano lessons cost $140.00 a month for the two of them.
She then preceded to tell them that they are getting a gift of the said amount. And they are getting it each month. HUH? is all they could come up with. I am dead silent this whole time.
Continuing on, she stated that we are a team. Each person has a responsibility. She stated hers, I stated mine and the kids, kept their heads low and tail tucked between their legs. They understood that there part was to practice daily and we are to have a smile and do our best to have fun. Sammie, not controlling herself, says,"Well, I think we are just wasting a bunch of time here. I'm all ready to go for my lesson." The teacher and I nearly fell off our seats. That girl is just something else. She was told that we aren't wasting time and that we are establishing our responsibilities."Do you know what yours is?" The thing is they love her, and they love going to her house for lessons. They openly admitted that they didn't want to quit. What they didn't know was how much it cost and how long of a waiting list she has for other students. She was going to quit on them if they didn't do their part. So, from now on, I think I will have them pay her the $140-ones. It seemed to hit home for them. Thank heavens for other teachers in my children's lives.

1 comment:

JaNan said...

Wow can you copy your piano teacher and send her my way? I'd love to have Aedin start but it's difficult to find a teacher with that "spark" who loves kids and wants to share a gift.