Sunday, May 30, 2010

Strawberry Pie


A friend once sent me a card saying,"Sometimes all I need is your friendship, and sometimes I just need pie!" So for all you pie lovers, here is a delicious and very easy strawberry pie recipe.
For the crust:
3 Tbsp milk
2/3 c. oil
2 c. sifted flour
2 tsp. sugar
1 1/4 tsp. salt
For the pie filling:
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. cornstarch
1 1/2 c. water
1 3oz. package of strawberry gelatin
fresh strawberries, sliced

To make the crust: Beat milk and oil until cloudy; set aside. Mix dry ingredients. Then mix with milk and oil using mixer until crumbly.(I did this with a pastry blender). Push into place in pie plate (use your hands!). Bake @400 degrees for 8-10 minutes (10 worked best for me). Set aside and COMPLETLY cool before filling with strawberries.
To make the pie filling: Mix sugar, cornstarch and water in saucepan (then put it on the stove) and boil until transparent.(I only stirred it just a little). Add package of strawberry gelatin and boil until dissolved. Slice fresh strawberries and fill cooled crust. (You really do want to slice the strawberries. I tried them whole it just wasn't the same. You end up with big bites that are difficult and messy to eat and air bubbles). After the strawberry gelatin has cooled (maybe 10-15 minutes), pour over strawberries and let set at least 2 hours in refrigerator.
Recipe from Jr.League of Ogden(My mom gave me this cookbook.I absolutely love it!)
Let me know how it turns out for you. (Esp. my sis, Maria)

2 comments:

Jeremy and Angela said...

So, I thought about doin this with fresh cherries and black cherry gelatin. What do you think? I usually can't stand cherry flavoring, but I love fresh cherries.

HJ said...

I think I will be making this tonight.